We’re often asked what tools agencies such as ourselves use for designing, creating, deploying and managing web projects – so we thought we’d put together a list of our must have tools! It’s not a complete list, but gives you an insight into some of the top ones we use on a daily basis. We’ve split the tools we use into various categories:
- Pad & Paper - It might seem basic, but all our concepts start on paper, with basic sketches and process flows. Oh and we love a bit of post-it note process mapping too!
- Axure RP7 – Used for our visual layout designs and wire-framing.
- Photoshop – Used for all our designs, allowing layers to be split and graphics exported at a later date.
- Sublime Text - Used for all general coding, including XHTML/CSS/PHP.
- Visual Studio – Used for our .NET builds.
- SAAS & CodeKit - Used to compile all resources for web projects.
- Cassette – Used for asset bundling in our .NET builds.
- Drush – Used for our Drupal builds, automating specific tasks.
- Vagrant – Used for all our virtualised development environments.
- VMWare – Used for specific virtualisations.
- AWS/EC2 & RDS - Used during build, development and testing stages of our projects.
- Git - Used for our in-house version control of code.
- Beanstalk – Used for the deployment of code from our in-house Git environment to our staging servers.
- Capistrano – Used for the automated deployment of our projects to live production environments.
- Octopus Deploy – Used for automated deployment of our .NET projects to live production environments.
Testing / Optimisation
- Optimizely – Used for all our A/B testing.
- WebTrends – Used for testing and analytics.
- Google Analytics – Used for on-site analytics both before commencing a project and after its completion.
- BrowserStack - Used for all our web-based browser testing.
- LinkTiger – Used for checking any broken links.
- New Relic – Used for real-time server and application monitoring across all live production environments.
So there you have it – just some of the many tools that we use on a daily basis to help us build online solutions for clients. For more information on our services, why not get in touch, or alternatively if you’re looking for a career in Web Development or more broadly Digital Marketing, check our or careers section.